Developing young leaders with a connection to the natural world and a passion for environmental action
Elementary-aged students are invited to complete one activity from each category by December 1st to become a CERTIFIED PEA YOUNG ECO LEADER.
- Sign up for the program by October 15th.
- Keep a list of completed activities, including the date completed and a photo of the finished product or you in action. Print out our activity tracker here or use your own list for tracking.
- Share your photos on social media every week to become eligible for prizes and interact with fellow Young Eco Leaders. Make sure to tag @peancorg and #PEAYoungLeaders.
- Check the PEA Facebook page every Friday for information about raffle winners and prizes.
Category 1: Educate Yourself
- Research climate change and calculate your footprint
- Research environmental justice and racism
- Watch a short video: The Story of Change
- Watch a short video: The Story of Stuff
- Research local farms and local farmers markets
Category 2: Explore Nature
- Set up a bird-watching station in your home
- Write or draw 5 nature journal entries
- Complete a nature scavenger hunt
- Walk, swim, or play at a local river, state park, and local park
- Go on an early-morning or late-night nature walk
Category 3: Make Something
Category 4: Create Eco Art
- Make a sculpture out of recycled materials
- Create artwork inspired by nature
- Make a nature mandala
- Draw a map of your favorite outdoor space
- Create an environmental education poster
Category 5: Choose a Challenge
Category 6: Change Your World
- Perform a home energy audit and identify how to conserve energy
- Pick up litter at a local green space
- Take a bus, bike, or walk somewhere that you usually drive
- Write a letter or send a video to an elected official or your school principal about an environmental topic
- Write a letter to the Winston-Salem Journal about an environmental topic