We're looking for an outgoing intern to support PEA's education programming this spring. Activities include: teaching in classrooms, maintaining and transporting supplies to and from schools, assisting in volunteer recruitment and training, and assisting with data collection and tracking for programming. This internship is ideal for an undergraduate student who is passionate about environmental sustainability and would like to gain experience in environmental education.
The internship has a flexible schedule (10-15 hours a week) starting in January 2022.
Timeline: February-May 2022
Who We Are: Piedmont Environmental Alliance (PEA) works every day to create a more just, resilient, and environmentally sustainable Piedmont Triad. We accomplish our mission through events, education, and advocacy with programs that educate and empower, build community, and inspire action to create big change in our local community.
PEA empowers students and community members to become change agents, creating a greener Winston Salem and Piedmont region. Our signature event - the Piedmont Earth Day Fair - is the largest Earth Day celebration and one-day environmental education event in the region.
- Individually or with the support of a volunteer teach environmental education programs to local classrooms.
- Ensure supplies are neatly and adequately packed and transport materials to and from schools.
- Assist with classroom data collection.
- Grade pre and post-tests for each classroom and log statistics in Google Sheets.
- Begin building relationships with teachers and administrators in Guilford County through phone and email outreach.
- Plan recruitment strategies and recruit volunteers to deliver Energy Explorers and any additional spring programming.
- Research and support community engagement opportunities within Forsyth County.
- Attend local events to share information about PEA with the community.
- Support logistics and outreach for organizational events including the annual Environmental Debate Tournament and the Piedmont Earth Day Fair.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills, self-motivated, and attentive to details.
- Experience with Google Suite.
- Comfortable with public speaking in a classroom setting.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental and social issues is a plus!
We are looking for you, if:
- You have a personal passion for environmental stewardship and sustainability.
- You are outgoing and not afraid to work independently with children.
- You are a current college student or recent grad looking for an opportunity to connect with the community and give back.
Compensation: This is an unpaid volunteer position. Course credit can be awarded if applicable.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted through January 2022. Submit your resume and a detailed cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference "Spring 2022 Internship” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Piedmont Environmental Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diverse candidates to apply.