Do you want classroom teaching experience engaging with students from diverse backgrounds?
Piedmont Environmental Alliance is looking for a team of 3 year-long Environmental Education Interns who can commit 5 hours a week to learn and teach Energy Explorers, a lesson on energy conservation, to seventh-grade students in the Winston-Salem / Forsyth County school system. Interns must be available at least one day a week during school hours between 8 am-2 pm. By the end of this internship, the candidates will have completed Criteria IV of the North Carolina Environmental Education Certification.
Who We Are:
Piedmont Environmental Alliance (PEA) is a local nonprofit that works every day to create a more just, resilient, and environmentally sustainable Piedmont Triad. Based in Winston-Salem, NC, PEA’s innovative education programs, annual events, and community-based advocacy projects engage thousands of volunteers, students, faith communities, businesses, and partner organizations in climate and environmental action. Learn more at www.peanc.org
- Learn and teach PEA’s environmental education curriculum in local classrooms and at community events.
- Recruit and train volunteer educators to teach our environmental education curriculum.
- Administer and grade student assessments.
- Reach out to local private schools, community groups, and organizations to promote the program.
- Assist PEA with events such as the Environmental Debate Tournament.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Strong organizational skills, self-motivated, and attentive to details.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental and social issues a plus.
We are looking for you if:
- You are comfortable speaking in front of an adult audience as well as K-12 students.
- You have a passion for working with kids.
- You have a personal passion for the outdoors, environmental stewardship and sustainability, and have taken action to get involved in the issues you care about.
- You are a current college student or recent grad looking for an opportunity to connect with the community.
This is an unpaid volunteer position.
Submit your resume and a detailed cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org please reference “Environmental Education Internship” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Piedmont Environmental Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and encourages a diversity of candidates to apply.